Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thanksgiving in August

Break out your Tofurkey and Sweet Potatoes because I am celebrating Thanksgiving!

This holiday is a time when families get together to enjoy each other's company, eat way too much food in one sitting and to relish in all that they are they thankful for. 

I TRY to do this everyday!  Well, just the thankful part, not the eating lots off food and unfortunately not the getting together with family.  There are so many things that one can get caught up with in the day to day.  We work too hard, we don't have enough money, we are tired or sick, etc.  These are things that we can not focus on.  We have so much to be thankful for every second of the day!  Thinking about those things is so much more enriching!  A friend of mine named Beth has an inspiring blog called Found By Hope.  She is a very insightful and faithful person.  Please check her blog out, it will enlighten your spirit!  Click here: Found by Hope

So, in honor of the Thanksgiving Every Day Holiday:

I am Thankful for:


  • My fun, loving husband- he loves and supports me no matter what.  That is amazing.  I get that love everyday!  

  • The sun and the moon- free electricity all day and all night.  We swam the other night with the moon giving us our light.  Amazing!

  • Flowers!  Need I say more.  Flowers and trees surround us everywhere we go.  They are beautiful and are grown out of the Earth.  They are like a treat that are free (unless you buy them from a nursery, otherwise go to a public garden and enjoy!)

  • My family-I don't get to see them much, but it is great to know that people love me and are connected to me.  (also, family, please do not mention the order of these, no I am not more thankful for flowers, sun and moon than my family)

  • Water- it is nourishing to drink and fun to swim and play in.  Water comes straight from the earth to drink and straight from the skies to play in.  Then we have these awesome bodies of water that are here for us to swim in, which brings me to...

  • The beach- living by the ocean really makes you appreciate God's green Earth!  It is amazing that the ocean can go further than you can see and that there are whole worlds going on under the water! 


  • Air- it's free and without it we would die.  I mean, we all have to be thankful for air, so let's stop polluting it so we can continue to breath it. 

  • Fruits and vegetables!  Again, I am still amazed when I eat a pear off of a tree or a pistachio nut or a squash from a garden.  These are foods that God gave us on his Earth to nourish our bodies.  They are not made in a factory, they are grown this way.  Someone saw an ugly kiwi, tried it, realized it was good for us and now we have kiwi's to eat!  Amazing!

  • My health- as we age, I think this one gets pushed to the top of the thankful list!  I am glad that I can practice yoga and hope to do it until I am 99!

  • Love and Compassion.  This one is open-ended.  It means so much.  The love that I carry in my heart that is given to me from a higher being, the love I give to my friends, the love I give to my family, My husband, The love I get...Sooooo much love!
PLEASE COMMENT AND TELL ME WHAT YOU ARE THANKFUL FOR!!! 




"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"

2 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! You are such a precious girl Mary for reminding us to focus on the good things! I am thankful for snuggles from my toddler, my husband working his butt of so I can stay home, the ability to see and hear, and technology that keeps us connected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful to see,hear,smell, walk and be somewhat healthy.

    I am thankful to have people in my life that support me while going through a difficult divorce.

    I am thankful to have a job.

    I am thankful to live in the beautiful city of Charleston,SC.

    ReplyDelete