Saturday, January 8, 2011

Getting out of my own way


Lately I have been very antsy with my life.  Don't get me wrong, I love my life and my routine, however I feel like I could and SHOULD be doing more to help others and to spread joy.  I have been feeling like I am wasting my time going to work everyday at a job that does benefit the world.  I have a passport that is sitting in a drawer, screaming for me to use it and I am this close to getting my shots and leaving for a third world country. 

So tonight, I met some yogi masters from India.  They came to my yoga school to teach and sing.  It was amazing.  They discussed karma and living in the present.  It hit me hard and it was exactly what I needed to hear.

I have not made the best career choices in the past and I tend to look at that and regret it.  What if I had begun volunteering right out of college and traveled with the Peace Corp.  I wonder what kind of amazing job I would have now!!  BUT I didn't and I can not dwell on the past and regret my choices.  They have been made.  I did what I did and it was all for a reason.  I also have no idea what I will be doing in a year and can not worry about that either.  How can I stress about or feel bad about something that has not even happened?  I can however, control what I am doing right now. 

This is a huge weight off of my shoulders.  The "what ifs" can really weigh you down.  But with that weight gone, I can focus on what I can do NOW!  Not yesterday, not tomorrow, but now!

A Lululemon quote is "DO IT NOW, DO IT NOW, DO IT NOW" 

I have reminded myself that by living a compassionate and peaceful life, I can spread joy from where I am.  It may not be in the form that I think it should be in, but it is happening right now.  I am working on my life right now and what I am doing now will help shape what my future can be. 

The greatest peace comes from within.  It doesn't matter where your physical body is; whether in your living room, in a yoga class or in Haiti, you can live in peace and spread it to others. 

(although, with that said, I am working towards an amazing way to help others..time will tell..I am not meant to worry about it)

Om Shanti


No comments:

Post a Comment