I believe that it is the only way compassionate human beings can still eat animals is by putting it out of their minds and believe that it is what we are supposed to be doing. But I believe everyone should know how the cow gets to our plates. I also believe that if slaughterhouses had glass walls, no one would eat meat!!
The cows that you eat in a restaurant, fast food place or chain grocery store all come from factory farming. Factory farmed cows are kept in cramped, dirty confinement. Cows are used to roaming and grazing in fields. In factories, they are not given that luxury. They are in all types of weather, they are fed poorly nutritious food and they are not kept clean. As you can imagine, they get sick and infected often. Many die due to neglect. If the meat is still good however, these cows still make it to the slaughterhouse.
This is a picture of a "downed" or sick cow in an Oklahoma farm.
Does this look appetizing or safe to even EAT???
They blink. They make noises, he said softly. The head moves, the eyes are wide and looking around. Still Moreno would cut. On bad days, he says, dozens of animals reached his station clearly alive and conscious. Some would survive as far as the tail cutter, the belly ripper, the hide puller. They die, said Moreno, piece by piece...
I believe this is tragic and not fair to the animals. I wouldn't want this to happen to me or anyone I loved . Since I have given up eating the animals, I feel freer than ever and I DO NOT miss eating hamburger meat.
I wonder if we stopped calling it "hamburger" and called it "cow", if people would stop eating it? Could you imagine telling your child they are eating a cow! An actual animal that they see walking on the side of the road? I wonder if they would eat it still. hmm....we have to questions these things and stop hiding the truth.
It cost A LOT to get a hamburger these days..and I don't mean money!
Please check out this clip called Chew On This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNvPtyh-sDQ
Free Vegetarian Starter Kit: http://www.peta.org/vsk/
Green Facts about Factory Farming:
- 70% of the leveled land is used to raise factory animals (bye bye trees)
- Factory Farm animals use more than half the water in the USA (we have humans without clean water to drink)
- Producing one hamburger uses enough fossil fuel to drive a small care 20 miles!
- Every second, factory animals produce 89,000 pounds of waste (where does it all go?...water systems, lakes, oceans, etc
- 2/3 of the agricultural land is used to feed factory animals (imagine how many hungry humans could be fed if we didn't "grow" animals for our consumption)
SAVE THE WORLD..GO VEGETARIAN!